HELPFUL CARE TIPS
Orthopedic Self-Care Tips
Your body’s musculoskeletal system is a complex masterwork made up of thousands of moving parts that performs like a well-oiled machine. Whatever movements you make — walking, stretching, reaching, bending, flexing, grasping — are dependent upon the smooth interaction of bones, muscles and joints.
That’s why avoiding injury and the wear and tear of repetitive motions over the course of a lifetime is so important. Here are some orthopedic self-care tips you can use to keep your body in top shape for years to come:
How to Build Your Bone Strength
- Get plenty of calcium in your diet. This vital nutrient builds strong bones. Not only is it found in dairy products, but also in salmon, sardines, and leafy green vegetables like kale, cabbage, and broccoli.
- Absorb as much vitamin D as possible. That’s because it helps your body absorb calcium. The best source of vitamin D is sunlight. So be sure to get about 30 minutes of sun exposure at least a few times per week, using sunscreen accordingly.
How to Maintain Joint Flexibility
- Flex those joints. Spend a few rninutes every day slowly stretching and moving each of your joints through their full range of motion without hyperextending.
- Stay active. Avoid allowing your joints to remain in the same position for an extended period of time, commonly from standing, sifting, leaning, bending over, etc. Stay active, taking breaks often, by moving around and stretching to prevent your joints from stiffening.
How to Keep Your Muscles Healthy
- Exercise regularly. Any physical activity is better than none, but strength training is most beneficial for maintaining muscle mass and tone. Not only does it prevent muscle atrophy (wasting away) over time, but it also strengthens your bones.
- Drink plenty of water. Muscle function is dependent on hydration. Drinking water prevents muscles from cramping. Avoid alcohol and caffeinated beverages if you can, as these can lead to dehydration.
At CSOG Express Bone & Joint Injury Care, we’re here to provide total care and help you stay active and fit. If you have any questions about ourgxpress care services please call our office at (719) 622-4550.
Avoid injury, minimize damage, and discover simple ways to optimize your orthopedic health with these essential prevention tips.
Helpful Care Tips
Keep your bones strong, your muscles in shape, and your joints flexible with these effective orthopedic care tips.
Express Bone & Joint Injury Care Blog
Find the latest news and information regarding groundbreaking research and state-of-the-art advancements in orthopedic care at our exclusive reader-friendly blog.